Experience | Passion | Commitment
I have a son that struggled while public school assessment backlogs delayed necessary interventions at his neighbourhood school. Fortunately, he then received the support / intervention he needed and now teaches at his former “essential” school.
As a result, I am passionate about ensuring all learners especially those with unique needs, such as special needs, exceptionalities, English language learners, indigenous and adult students and youth in care, are acknowledged and accommodated within our neighbourhood public schools.
The public school system must continue to embrace an inclusive neighbourhood classroom approach for ALL students with the necessary supports to ensure success.
My passion about this topic has led me to recently return to UBC to pursue a MEd in Inclusive Education and continue my journey as a lifelong learner.
Beyond my previous elected civic positions, I’ve had a long and distinguished career as a Chartered Professional Accountant (FCPA) specializing in charitable gift planning. I have been heavily involved as a community volunteer with various Community Centre Associations in Champlain Heights, Killarney, Kitsilano and Mount Pleasant, and I continue to serve as a Special Constable with the Vancouver Police Department since 1973.
I live in Kitsilano with my wife, a nurse in the DTES / downtown eastside. We have two sons, one an Engineer and one a Teacher. I am an avid walker and historian of Vancouver.
- 2014 – 2015 Elected Vancouver School Board (selected Chair 2014 – 2015)
- 1999 – 2002 Elected Vancouver Park Board (selected Vice-Chair 1990)
- 1986 – 1990 Elected Vancouver Park Board
- 1994 Awarded FCPA by Chartered Professional Accountants of BC (CPABC)
- 2008 Awarded Friend by Canadian Association of Gift Planners (CAGP)
- 2012 Awarded Diamond Jubilee Medal by Vancouver East MP Libby Davies
- 2019 Awarded 40 year Peace Officer Exemplary Service Medal + Bar on behalf of Governor General of Canada
- 1978 Bachelor of Commerce, UBC – Accounting
- 1980 C.P.A – CPABC
- In Progress: Masters of Education, Inclusive Education, UBC
Let’s work together…
On October 15th, 2022 vote for a brighter future for Vancouver students.